With Christmas just around the corner, the Ideal Wine Company explains how to give wine as a gift.
The Christmas season has officially begun. We’d advise you to do your holiday shopping early, so you don’t get caught up in the crowds on Christmas Eve. If you’re unsure what to get your loved ones this year, why don’t you opt for a nice bottle of wine?
With its complex character, rich flavour and many health benefits (according to one study red wine could be good for your memory) wine makes a really good Christmas gift. But there are so many varieties, which one do you go with? Should you give a hearty red, a delicious Vintage Port or push the boat out and go for a Champagne instead?
Five gifting tips
Luckily you have the Ideal Wine Company on your side, and we’re experts when it comes to giving wine as a gift. Here are five tips you can use to select the right vintage:
- Sample it yourself: You shouldn’t give anyone a wine that you wouldn’t drink yourself. If you like the vintage, then there’s a good chance other people will too, so sample a wine yourself before you give it someone else.
- Spend appropriately: Nobody likes to receive a really expensive gift; if you give someone a wine that costs more than their car, they might feel obligated to do the same. We’d advise you to set a reasonable budget and buy a moderately priced vintage; the Ideal Wine Company product list provides great value for money.
- Seek advice: If you don’t trust yourself to select the right vintage, why don’t you ask other people instead? You could go to a sommelier, seek out the opinion of wine enthusiasts online, or even ask your family and friends to determine which wine you want to give as a gift.
- Think about packaging: Whether you like it or not, presentation matters. If you give someone a wine that tastes amazing but comes in a lacklustre bottle, they might not even bother to try the vintage because they’ve been put off by its presentation.
- Consider the recipient: The most important thing you need to do is think about what kind of wine the recipient would like. If they’ve got a penchant for gorgeous California reds, get them a gorgeous California red- sometimes it really is as easy as giving people what they want.
Our gift wine
If you’re looking for something really special, why don’t you buy our latest gift wine? This is the Chateau La Conseillante 2007, a fantastic vintage from France, that’d be the perfect present for you to give your loved ones this Christmas. You can buy it from the Ideal Wine Company right now for only £72!