With less than a month until Easter, it’s time to stock your wine cellar. Whether you’re seeking a sweet white wine to go with your chocolate eggs or searching for the ideal wine to go with the lamb on Easter Sunday, at Ideal Wine Company, we have plenty of suggestions for you to stock wines for Easter.
Preparing for Easter is usually more relaxed than the Christmas season. And the rules on wine and food are more relaxed. No-one expects the vast array of booze at a dinner party on Easter Sunday that they would for Christmas dinner. But it’s just as well to be prepared for your Easter meals.
Wines perfect for Easter feasts
Lamb is a popular meal choice for families in the UK at Easter. And it goes very well with a number of delicious Mediterranean wines or wines from across Southern Europe.
And it doesn’t have to be traditional roast lamb either. Try chuletitas de cordero, which are barbecued lamb chops, which end up as melt in the mouth and delicious with rioja. Or go for a Greek lamb dish for a change. Try garlic shoulder of lamb slow roasted with herbs and spices. To go with it, try a Greek red wine called xinomavro, which is very dark and fruity, but also full of the tannin flavours needed to cut through the rich meat.
Try these wines for Easter 2020:
- Gran Reserva Rioja CVNE – a delicious rioja packed with tender textures and a savoury edge. It goes well with lamb but works fine with roast pork or beef too. So, whatever you choose for you main dish at Easter, this wine will complement the meat.
- Lyrarakis Voila Assytriko – this wine is from Crete and is very popular with the traditional Greek Easter feast of magiritsa. This soup is made from kid or lamb offal and is traditionally seasoned with dill and lemon. This dry white wine goes brilliantly with the traditional Greek food, thanks to its citrus flavours and bright and mineral finish.
- Crociani Vin Santi di Montepulciano – a traditional Tuscan wine made from malvasia grapes. The process of drying the grapes on straw mats gives this wine a sweet and rich texture with flavours of demerara sugar sand dried fruits. Works perfectly with cheese, chocolate and cake, so ideal for dessert.
- Niepoort Ruby Dum Port – packed with sweet, bright fruit flavours this portis rich with plums and cherries. It also has a very silky and smooth texture and goes particularly well with dark chocolate – a drink for the sophisticated Easter eggs!
- Mastro Bianco – this blended wine takes the flavours from three grapes local to the Campania region of Italy. The end result is a deep dry white with hints of green olive and almonds among peach fruit with plenty of minerally freshness. It would be ideal with a seafood dish for Good Friday.
- Domaine de Montvac Arabesque Vacqueyras – this French red wine is a favourite for the traditional roast lamb Easter meal. Make a Mediterranean version with lots of rosemary and garlic and enjoy this succulent and balanced red wine. It also goes well with aubergine dishes, so is a good choice for a vegetarian or vegan Easter meal too.
Of course, this is just the tip of the wine iceberg. For more ideas on wines to enjoy at Easter and all year round, check out our earlier blogs.