The Bellini is an Italian classic is popular among those that prefer to diverge from a Mimosa, swapping zesty orange flavours for a sweeter peach flavour.
The recipe for a Bellini originates from Venice, Italy. The sweet treat is as simple as two parts Prosecco (Italian sparkling wine) to one part peach puree. A hint of raspberry or cranberry juice can be added giving the drink its unique pink tint. Created in the 1930s-40s by bartender Giuseppe Cipriani at Harry’s Bar in Venice, it was named after the Italian renaissance painter Giovanni Bellini.
Since the perfection of the original recipe, there have been many variations. This is predominantly due to the availability of the products used, however bottled peach puree made specifically for a Bellini can be purchased. Alternatively, a homemade puree can be concocted using canned fruit.
The recipe for a Bellini is as simple as two steps:
- First put one tablespoon of peach puree into the bottom of a chilled flute glass
- Secondly, slowly fill the glass up with Prosecco so that it stirs up the puree
If, by chance, you do not have access to peaches and raspberries to puree, below is a version using all bottled/canned ingredients – this version will have a higher alcohol content than the original version:
- Firstly, mix two ounces of peach nectar, one ounce of peach schnapps and finally one teaspoon of lemon juice into a chilled flute glass
- To finish, add the Prosecco and stir
For those that fancy something refreshing and tasty but don’t want the hassle of a morning hangover, this ‘Mocktail’ Bellini is a perfect fit. Using one tablespoon of peach puree, one ounce of mineral water and half an ounce of lemon juice and sparkling white grape juice. Just as simple as the original, this three-step recipe will taste just as delicious.
- Firstly, put peach puree in the bottom of a champagne flute
- Secondly, squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Finally, slowly pour in the mineral water and grape juice leaving the drink to stir
A seasonal drink
The Bellini is delicate and light drink with accentuating sweet tones – perfect for spring and summer months. This drink can be enjoyed in the sun with friends, making it perfect for an afternoon party – your guests can accompany it with appetizers for a light snack. You can buy Pizzolato Spumante Prosecco online now from Ideal Wine Company, perfect for making a Bellini.